Thursday, November 29, 2007

A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving

My friend Shawn Dowling used to say to me, "Of all the Mike O'Neills in the world, you're the Mike O'Neilliest." To the Charlie Brown aficionados, there is no explanation needed on the quote. And if this bit of peanuts trivia befuddles your keen sense, then you haven't lived so please brush up on your Schultz and the gang.

I open with a Charlie Brown quote because this past Sunday, my new "family" and I celebrated my favorite American holiday thousands of miles away from home. With good friends, and good food, it was as if I was back in the brisk New England Autumn sharing with my families in Billerica and Burlington. Thanksgiving has come to mean more to me than any other holiday, and so it was with calm nostalgia and deep warmth that I embraced our Taiwan Thanksgiving this past weekend.

The day began with cloudy patches sweeping across the sky. Huiheng and I went to the top of Taipei 101 to show Flat Stanley the view from the world's tallest building. This building is not recommended to those who suffer from vertigo or small bladders! But to those with brave and strong hearts, it is said that good things shall come. And our blessed Thanksgiving gift that day, at the top of the world, was a view of an enormous rainbow. But this was no ordinary view, as we actually looked down on it and its vast expanse over the scape of the city.

Huiheng and I then made stuffing and gathered at my friend, Sarah's home, for a glutinous feast. With a real turkey, stuffing, delicious mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, sweet potato caserole, string bean dishes, salads, gravy, and friends from America, Canada, Taiwan, Spain, Britain, and many other locations, the feast could begin. As the only respectable American father figure present, I was charged with the duty of carving the Turkey. Over the course of the next two hours, we sat and ate, told stories of our excursions in Taiwan and plans for future travels. The experiences were varied as they were interesting.

But the evening came to a close as we wished each other merry holidays. And as we made our way home in the cold, dark, drizzling night, we stayed warm and cozy from the enchanted holiday evening.

Happy Holidays from a New Englander's Thanksgiving in Taiwan, Michael.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Hi Mike, I'm glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We sure did miss having you with us - but you were in our hearts.

Did you appropriately do the napkin hats???

Aunty Kathy