Wednesday, February 6, 2008

La Dolce Vita


As a new year began about a month ago, a new one is just beginning tonight. But more on that later. I find it appropriate to tell you that in the new year, I have decided to start brand new. And what better way to do that than to move into a new apartment.

That's right folks, you heard it here first. After terribly lengthy commutes, frustrating transfers, and VERY long work days, I decided I needed a place closer to my school. I began searching around New Years, and after about a week of disappointing results, I came across the perfect spot for me, in which I now reside.

I moved from Daan, in the center of the city, to a bit of a more suburbanite type of location on the outskirts of Taipei. I am not living in any rice paddie, to be sure, but this offers a quieter, happier existence with plenty of comforts with which one young man needs to get by. Essentially, it is like moving from the Back Bay of Boston to Harvard Square of Cambridge. I am still in the city, but there are more residences.

I am living in an area of Taipei called Neihu. There is an upcoming MRT station near my house, along with markets, parks, IMAX and movie theaters, the giant ferris wheel, and best of all mountain hiking. I am living down a side street close to the main road. I forsook a fourth floor, elevator and doorman equipped three bedroom apartment for a fifth floor, no doorman, no elevator, one room apartment. Why did I do it you ask? For the exercise? No, no, my good reader, I assure you I get plenty of exercise at the gym. My reasons are simple- next to, of course, it being a fifteen minute walk from my school.

First, the apartment is beautiful. But perhaps, after climbing five flights of stairs, any contraption resembling four walls and a floor- ceiling optional- will look beautiful. The flat is laid out like a spacious studio apartment. It is one large room with an adjoining bathroom. The flat is brand new, with a new king size bed, dresser, mini-fridge, cabinet, bedside table with drawers, and dressing counter with mirror. There is also a work space suitable for a computer (at which I am working at the present moment). The bathroom is also new, with a large shower, sink, and toilet, which I suppose, come standard with any bathroom these days. But in its defense, it is new.

Perhaps the most impressive furnishing inside the apartment, next to the bed of course, is the flat screen TV hanging impressively on my wall. Unfortunately, the one drawback is the lack of a kitchen. But a with a hot water faucet outside, I am turning into the iron chef of instant noodles. But seriously, I am purchasing a hotplate so boiling water or frying food will become a reality.

Now, let's take a journey outside. Picture this- you just wake up from your evening slumber. You pour yourself a cup of piping hot Oolong Tea. You collect your Chinese calligraphy tools, your writing notebooks, your magazine or current book. You step out onto the terrace, yes, the terrace, place your goods on the patio furniture, breathe in the fresh air, sip the bitter Oolong Tea and take in the vast mountain vista laid out before you. The Chi is strong here.

Logistics. How does this move benefit my life? Well, for starters, my commute has dramatically decreased in the recent weeks, saving me almost seven hours of commuting in one WEEK and over $30.00 US in traveling expenses in one month. It takes no Einstein to balance that equation. Price-wise, it is a bit more expensive. In my last flat, I was coughing up about NT$9,000 a month, including water, gas, and management. Tackle on the internet charges, cable, and the traveling, I was paying about NT$11,000 month for the apartment. In US terms, we are looking at about $330 a month. A steal, I know. In my new apartment, I pay New Taiwan $12,500 including internet, water, and management (my landlord takes out my trash for me!). Including traveling, I pay about New Taiwan $13,000, which comes out to being about $390 US per month. So, with a mountain view and available hikes that includes the comforts of the city, my very own apartment (no roommates, just me baby!) and bathroom, and a very easy commute, the choice came down to a matter of $60 per month. For me, my time is worth a lot more than that, so the choice was even easier than choosing which type of sauce to go with my lunchtime dumplings.

Other Acquisitions- In US Dollars

  • A new hard drive and laptop mouse- less than $60.
  • iPod Speakers- $3
  • Bicycle- $0 (a gift, things aren't THAT cheap)
  • Giant Bonzai Plant- which is not just a regular plant- $15. (And by not regular plant, I mean it is a large pot with a collection of artistically designed bonzai plants numbering in total to four, resulting in a refreshing and spirited Feng Shui.)
  • Nifty umbrella with a telescopic plastic case perfect for unwanted dripping- $3
From your very happy, home is where the heart is kind of guy, Michael.

On a post-scripted note, I would like to comment on my last post. If you didn't catch the sardonic tone in which I wrote "Oh, the Humanity," I would like to clarify that there is no ketchup shortage in Taiwan. There are only stingy shop owners that are too cheap to give you more than one packet unless you ask for one. Well, this writer has more dignity than to beg for any ketchup. I would rather suffer and eat my ketchup plain, thank you!

No comments: