Monday, July 21, 2008

A Beautiful Affair

On July 7th, 2007, I touched down on Taiwan soil effectively starting my stint as an English Teacher in Taipei. On July 19th, 2008 at 4:30 PM, that role ended, thus wrapping up a unique and adventurous chapter in my life. On July 21st, I started a very new, and very exciting, chapter.

My year of teaching went by far too quickly, and the moments were dashed with tender happinesses, bitter losses, and memories full of laughter, smiles, and blurred vision (beer Aunty Vicky!). And in a fashionable style, I would like to recount ten of my most treasured moments on this island.

10) Knee races with Kate on the Beach at Fulong
9) Nights out- Rainbow man, Jeffery and the several rounds, Half-naked Tony, surprise visits by Winter
8) Jiofen with Huiheng
7) Almost getting blown up by the lantern festival in Neihu
6) Having a luxurious hot spring all to myself
5) Eating BBQ snake with Chelsey
4) Thanksgiving dinner at Sarah Jobe's house
3) Water tubing in Kenting with Kate, Amber and Debbie
2) The dinner parties prepared by Kirit and Joanne
1) Teaching my Tuesday afternoon class with Bill, Naomi, Kelly, James, Emily, Jenny, David, Amy, Winnie, Mama Maya, Johnny, Helen, and Jeniffer

The year was marked by extraordinary cultural experiences, phenomenal relationships with close friends, and professional growth as a teacher. In my interview to teach abroad, I was asked about the goals I had for myself and whether or not coming to Taiwan was a good match for those goals. I can say with sincere honesty that I had achieved my personal goals, and surpassed them with roaring vigor.

However, the story does not end here. Taiwanablog shall move forward. Now, it's true, my time here as a teacher has come to an end, but my time here has not finished. Just two days after my last class, I started a new job as Director of Recruiting - Korea for a highly reputable and well-run recruiting company call Reach to Teach. It will be my role to guide teachers who aspire to commit to the great challenge of teaching abroad. Through hard, diligent concentration, business trips to Korea, and careful attention to the last bit of detail, I will be working hard to make dreams come true. At the conclusion of my first day, the same man who interviewed me a year ago asked how the day went. I told him, "I feel like Walt Disney." Being somewhat of a realist (we'll forgive him for that one, seeing as he is British) he responded, "But isn't he dead?"

The opportunity is more than I could ever hope for and thus far, I am thoroughly enjoying each and every aspect of the job. However, I can't help missing the students I have come to know. I think about them often; what they are learning, what they are doing, how their new teacher likes them. In the United States, I worked in the Boston Public Schools as a United Nations Educator and in the State Forests as a Park Ranger. I suppose I will forever be, no matter how hard I try, a real teacher at heart.


From a man who loves his life, loves his job, and loves his students- Michael.

No comments: