Friday, August 22, 2008

Polly and his Cracker

Working from home has its benefits: an easy commute, modern conven- iences all around, and no obnoxious co-workers that irritate the blazes out of you. But, on the other hand, there are some drawbacks. That couch in the living room sure looks inviting! Or, maybe an extra thirty minutes for lunch on my balcony to enjoy the sunshine. But the hardest thing about working from home, and living alone, is having no one around, even your obnoxious co-worker.

One day, I was browsing the local ads online to help me furnish my new apartment. Under the General Merchandise section, I came across a parrot for sale. I recalled fondly of my pet bird when I was a youngster (that met its tragic and untimely end to our family dog), and clicked with a thrill on the ad's link. I read about the bird, which happened to be a delightful Sun Conure with a cheery disposition and a penchant for attention. I was even more elated to discover that the parrot was being sold by a friend of mine.

I sent my friend an e-mail and told her that if she couldn't find someone to take her parrot, I would be more than happy to adopt it. After all, I was home all day so her parrot would indeed have company! Through many fortunate turns of events, the parrot eventually came to live with me, thus ending my loneliness.


Zeke, the parrot, is a delightful and brilliant edition to my life. His colors are as bright as his charming personality. He is a Sun Conure, one of the friendliest of all parrots, and he loves attention. This is good, because when I am home and taking a break for lunch, Zeke comes right out of his cage and plays with me. He adores me, and when he is placed on the floor, he scrambles right back over to me and climbs on my head, shoulder, arm, shirt, pants; you name it, he's there.


He's also on a never ending quest to rip my fingernail off my finger, though.

Zeke is a clever bird as well- he can already do a host of tricks like wave his hand, nod his head, do a magic card trick, and turn around. However, the best trick of all is that Zeke can actually put money into a piggy bank!

Needless to say, Zeke is the center of my life right now. I can't leave my apartment without wondering if he will be ok while I'm gone. I love Zeke, and Zeke loves me. From your newly incarnated bird owner, and happy home worker, Michael.

No comments: