Sunday, January 11, 2009

我不懂 中文

Trans- lation: I don't under- stand Chinese. But that is all about to change my friend. After spending 16 months on this island, I have fortified the strength and determination to master the Chinese language. Thus, on December 3rd, I stepped onto Shida- Taiwan's Normal University- and enrolled in an intensive Chinese Language Program.

In addition to my 8 hours a day work week, totaling 40 hours altogether, I will be attending two hour seminars each every night Monday through Friday, to learn Chinese with my teacher: Janet. I am the only American in this class, along with two Canadians, two Vietnamese, one Japanese, one French, one Korean, and one Mongolian.

I have been in class now for two weeks and I have mastered writing about 80 characters- an accomplishment I am rather proud of. I did well on my first two exams- coming in Flawless the first time with a 100% and a respectable 96% the second time around.

The class is enjoyable, with lot's of incidental language to go along with the text book. I can say important things like, "I have a huge stomach" and "You are my shini
ng star" and "I am not a beautiful woman". Important phrases you need to use on the street, of course. But speaking aside, I have to admit I am immensely enjoying the writing aspect of the course. I aliken it to my time as a park ranger. When I first started out as Mikey the Bear, I didn't know an oak tree from a telephone pole sticking out of the ground. However, as I took my guidebook out into the forest, my identification skills quickly developed and soon did my appreciation of the natural world. Now, here in Taiwan, being able to recognize characters is opening up whole new worlds for me. While I can't read entire signs yet, sometimes I can pick up a few characters and then make an inference as to what the sign is trying to say. Obviously, my appreciation of my surroundings has exploded since he start of my classes.

But perhaps the best part of my day comes at the end of my class at precisely 8.20. This is when I pack up my belongings, grab my bag, and head over to Yong Kang street. Aside from being the BEST street in Taipei, Yongkang street is home to my new favorite restaurant, and aparently I share that trend with a vast majority of people from all over the world. I speak of none other than Ding Tai Fun.

Everynight I have been ordering a basket of Xiao Long Bao, or Steamed Pork Dumplings. The most delicious morsels I have ever put in my mouth, I can't even begin to rave about this restaurant. But you don't need my opinion to know this place has something worth eating. Perhaps the line of 100 people outside waiting is evidence enough. Or maybe that this restaurant was listed as one of the top ten gourmet restaurants in the world by the New York Times. Now I know you don't need any convincing that this is a pretty exclusive and reputable list. Then, you may be even more delighted to know that when it was placed on this list in 1993, it was the only Chinese style cuisine to be featured on the list.

A Xiao Long Bao is a special thing. It is a translucent dumpling filled with tangy soup and fresh pork stuffing. The individually wrapped dumplings are steamed for 8 minutes in the basket before they are served. They arrive, still in the basket they were cooked in, piping hot. Now, before you dig in, it's important you look around first- the dining set is rather simple, but spotless, and the design has no preconceived notions of Feng Shui. You have to wonder why this place was on the top ten list in the first place. Well, you're about to find out.

You pick up a Xiao Long Bao and dip it into some sauce you prepare yourself: three parts vinegar 1 part soy sauce. You then soak some ginger slices in the sauce before placing them on the dumpling. You delicately pick the dumpling up, careful not to let it burst, and place it on your spoon. You take your chopstick and puncture a wound into the side of the Xiao Long Bao to let the soup inside flow free. Then, with one heaping bite (and careful not to burn yourself) you inhale the sauce soaked Xiao Long Bao with the ginger and soup altogether. We remains is an affirmation that these ten little dumpling rightly belong on the New York Times top ten list of the best gourmet restaurants in the world. Here is a perfect example of a place that doesn't need to spruce things up aesthetically because it is their product that makes people come back again and again.

Ding Tai Fung is now my favorite. I go their almost every night and befriend the massive wait staff because they are so friendly and engaging. They always remember my name and ask me how things are going. They treat you like royalty and it is fantastic. And yes, I can eat at least three baskets of Xiao Long Bao!

From your "我 是 大 胃 王" of Taiwan, Michael.

1 comment:

kacelee said...

ok....send me a dozen overnight express....