Thursday, January 29, 2009

Here Comes the Bride

I have family here in Taiwan. On my mother's side, my Uncle married a girl named Clare who is absolutely wonderful, and I spent the day with her when I first arrived in Taipei. And on my father's side, my cousin married a girl from Taiwan who is equally wonderful. She is now in Taipei to visit family and friends, celebrate Chinese New Year, introduce her new daughter Tia Jade O'Neill to her family in Taiwan and celebrate her brother's wedding.

That means I got to join in for the ride on all these exciting Holiday traditions in Taiwan. How wonderful of her and her family to include me in on everything.

After our delicious lunch together at Ding Tai Fung when she first arrived, I didn't see her until the next weekend at her brother's wedding. Held in Bancqiao, it felt like I arrived for a massive feast to end all other feasts. I was greated again by my cousin and Tia at the door with open arms. She lead me down the bangquet hall where I met her father for the first time- and absolutely wonderful man!

Yuhsin, my cousin, showed me to my seat with two familiar faces- her nieces Zoe and Lily. These two girls have absolutely marvelous English skills on top of being the most gracious of hosts. A little silliness ensued, before the rest of the guests arrived and the show began.

The bride and groom took their seats at the main table while of procession of firework weilding individuals lead the way. This was the introduction to the most intriquing of weddings I have ever attended.

In the United States, weddings are solemn ceremonies, followed by a lavish dinner and dancing. Here, there is no dancing, but rather we are treated to a dinner and a show (apparently it is up to the bride and groom to entertain the guests). During our TWELVE COURSE MEAL, including food I have never before seen in my life, we were bedazzzled with light shows, speaches, videos, slideshows, Japanese drum performances, and a toast to the happy couple.

In the end, the evenin turned out to be truly spectacular. It felt like I was able to attend the wedding of my first cousins that I had unfortunately missed a number of years ago. On the way out, I gave my congratulations to the newly weds, met Yuhsin's mother (who made a flattering remark on my devilishly good looks) and took off for home.

From you wedding crasher of Taipei, Michael.

No comments: