Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Goodbye Old Friend

Shoes are your finest comp- anions. They see everything you see, but from ground level making them your least pretentious bit of clothing. They bear your weight daily and take hard poundings during exercise and hiking. Yet they give 100% all the time and make sure that, in the end, you always get to where you want to go.

A friend that takes this type of abuse surely can't last long. The average life span of a pair of sneakers is about 6 m0nths. When I arrived in Taiwan, I purchased a pair of Nike Cross Trainers (probably rip offs) after I absentmindedly left my old ones at a hostel in Hualien. I did not replace these sneakers for almost three years.

These shoes saw a lot with me- they climbed volcanoes in the Philippines and went clubbing in Kuala Lumpur. The toured the sights of Hong Kong and jumped off a tower with me in Macau. Needless to say, wherever I went, these babies were not too far behind, just below me.

So maybe that's why they looked they way they did in the end- rabid old hobo shoes hanging on to dear life by, well, a shoe string! The sole almost completely tore away, the shoe laces were unravelling at the speed of light, and the color resembled the darkest earth tones man could imagine.



So it is with fitting aplomb that I commend these vessels of feet, these tokens of traffic, these carriers along carpets, and bid them adieu. To you, the finest shoes I have ever had, always remember I believed in you long after most people implored me to throw you away. Of all my shoes past and all my shoes yet to come, I don't think I shall ever have a better pair.



From the guy too lazy to buy a new pair of shoes for at least 2 and a half years, Mike.

1 comment:

kacelee said...

the laces look like they still have life left in them....