Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Martyrs Shrine

They say most New Yorkers never see the Statue of Liberty even though they have lived in the the city their entire lives. Well, I have done that with a particular location in Taipei- no not Taipei 101 or Snake Alley (I checked those off my list in the first week). For three years I had not visited the Martyr's Shrine. It was something I always wanted to do but never got around to it. It finally got to the point that I would save the visit for the end of my time in Taiwan. And with D-day not too far off, I decided it was worth a visit.


I hopped on my motorcycle and drove up past the grand hotel and American Club to find the entrance to the shrine. The entrance is guarded by two guards in pristine, white uniforms with a deadpan face of seriousness. I waited a good five minutes before I saw one blink.


After the entrance, the was a long walk to the next entrance to the shrine. Once there, however, you were overtaken by the silence and solemnity of the occasion. Lovely orchids greeted you while two more guards waited patiently on the opposite end- just as serious and a lot less touristy.


The Martyr's holds the remains the those died in the revolution in Taiwan. It holds military and civilian martyrs who fought bravely for the island's independence. Here they rest peacefully and as generations come to pay their respects and swear to uphold the ideals for which they gave their lives for.


The Martyr's Shrine may not be on many people's tourist list (and is in fact not in many toursit literature as it's a bit out of the way to get to), but to those who make the extra effort, even if it takes them three years to do it, they will be rewarded with a true treasure in Taipei.

From your better late than never guy, Mike.

1 comment:

BNutz said...

I think those guards that you saw, the ones at the CKS and SYS Memorial Halls are all clones of each other... right down to the box platforms they stand on.