Friday, September 7, 2007

Big Earthquake Hits Taipei

Friday morning, at 1:51 AM, I experienced my first earthquake. Registering 6.5 on the Richter scale, this baby shook the building and woke up my flatmates. I was sitting at my computer, catching up on some e-mails, when I felt a rumble coming on. Thinking at first it was only a truck passing by, the rumbling got stronger and stronger until I noticed my shades were shaking and my clothes were rocking back and forth. Evidently, it was a big one.

Four minutes later, a 5.7 after shock came along, but that was mild compared to its older brother.

But what does a 6.5 earthquake mean? Major earthquakes are about 7.0 and higher. In December of 1999, an earthquake measuring 7.1 hit Taiwan killing more than 2,000 people. An earthquake between 6.0 and 6.9, nevertheless, is a big earthquake and can cause serious damage or casualties in a populated area- shattering glass, levelling buildings, disrupting communications, etc... So why didn't this big shaker create devastation? Well, it's epicenter was about 70 miles southeast of Taipei in the ocean. Fortunately, no tsunami developed.

From your rock and roller Elvis impersonator of natural disasters, Michael.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I'm sure your mom will love this post!!!