Saturday, September 22, 2007

Moon Cakes

Well, it's Saturday night (officially, the wee hours or Sunday morning) and tomorrow morning I head off for my first vacation to Hualian and Taroko Gorge for some much needed hiking, kayaking, and white-water rafting. I owe these days off to a mythical couple who, many years ago, were separated when the darling lass spiritually ascended to the moon. One day a year, the young mistress returns to her lover and to celebrate this extraordinary event, called the Moon Festival, we get the day off. This gives me my second three-day weekend in a row (last weekend was thanks to Typhoon Wipha which was mild in Taiwan but devastating in China) and thus forms my journey to Hualian.

In the weeks preceding the Moon Festival, it is customary for students to bring in gifts for their teachers. Moon Cakes are the traditional delicacies and every day I went to work looking forward to receiving my lunar pastries. But alas, days went by and no gifts were bestowed upon me. Disenchanted with the Moon Festival, I went into my last class heartbroken that no students of mine decided to celebrate this ancient love by giving me material goods. It will delight you, dear reader, I am sure, that when I had entered the class room, there was one student in the corner holding a bag from a bakery. With the thrill of a school boy, I hopped over to her and she handed me a bag of delicious, albeit store bought, moon cakes. They weren't very good, but at least I was thought of. This young girl has become my favorite student.

I know what you are thinking- choosing favorites is wrong. Well, I do it and you are probably reading this from the other side of the world so you have little effect over the course of events here. In one class, I actually rigged a game of musical chairs so that the littlest, cutest girl I had ever seen won the game. I know, I am despicable. But if you ever saw her, I am sure you would do the same thing.

Speaking of little children, I love how gullible they are. After performing some stunning magic tricks for them, one little girl asked me to float! Thinking she got me, I said "OK," and did this optical illusion where, if you stand on your toe from a certain angle, it looks like you are floating. Well, as I was "floating" in air, I heard nine little children behind me screaming, "Oh my God!!! He's flying!! He's flying in class!!! Oh my god!!!"

I turned around to the funniest thing I have seen in years. Nine little Taiwanese children standing on their tip-toes flapping their arms like wings trying to "fly" in class. Fantastic.

Well, it is the first night of the Moon Festival and I suppose I should partake in the celebrations. I am told that for the Moon Festival, people gather with their families outside and stare at the moon. For hours. Hmmm. I think I will go see what's on T.V. now.

Stay tune for my post-vacation post to Hualian. From you moon beaming, favorite seeking, magic floating genie of Asia, Michael.

1 comment:

Hank said...

ive tried getting and giving gifts to young children before too.. I too have also picked out the cutest ones to win.. people just think im weird though